[GSoC 2012] Planned API changes - RFC

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Fri Jul 13 01:50:07 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im> wrote:
> Some protocols (such as AIM)
> distinguish between the "display" formatting of a username and the
> normalized formatting, but I think we get the display formatting on
> signin in at least the AIM case.  Mark, can you comment?

Oh man, it's been a while since I've thought about this.  I believe
that yes, we do receive the display formatting on signin, and I
believe prpl-oscar sets this as the server_alias for the buddy.  And
so it should be fine to store the normalized name for buddies.

For your own account name, however, we use the spacing and
capitalization as entered by the user to set the display formatting
for yourself, and so for this we do need the non-normalized version.