Keyring integration/detachable sessions and GSoC

Darryl Pogue dvpdiner2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 16:59:17 EDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 13:42 -0700, Corey F wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In browsing for Google Summer of Code project ideas, I noticed a few
> interesting projects where some progress has already been made.
>
> Integration with desktop keyring managers is a feature I'd like to have,
> and was a GSoC 2008 project [1]. The SoC 2008 project status page lists
> "Waiting 3.0.0", and I see some recent cleanup work by qulogic in
> *im.pidgin.soc.2008.masterpassword, so perhaps there's not sufficient
> work remaining* for another GSoC project.

I've been using that branch for a few months, and it definitely works
with Gnome keyring. QuLogic has done some work to get the KWallet plugin
to compile, but I'm not sure of the exact status.
Presumably it's waiting for more extensive testing/review before it gets
merged. As far as I can tell, it's pretty much complete though.

> "libpurple detachable sessions" is listed on the current project ideas
> page, but was a GSoC project in 2010 [2]. The suggested "remote mode"
> could probably make a substantial project, though I'm not confident I
> have the necessary networking knowledge. It looks like there's also work
> to be done to bring the existing progress to a usable state.

If I recall, the existing detachable sessions code relied heavily on
DBus and the GObjectification branches, and ran into a bit of a blocker
when it reached the edges of the GObjectification work.

It would be nice to see some work on GObjectification, but that might be
too big for a single GSoC project, and I worry that the majority of time
would be spent reviewing and debating how things should be done rather
than doing them.

~Darryl