Patch to gtkdialogs.c

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 23:09:38 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM, John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org> wrote:
> As we all know, we get what feels like a metric crapton of Oracle employees
> mailing our support list for assistance we can't possibly provide.  Quite
> honestly, I'm tired of it.  Since we have no contact that can Get Things
> Done(TM) inside Oracle, the next best thing is to put a message in the help
> dialog to discourage Oracle employees from using us as a support contact.  To
> that end, I have attached a patch to do just that.
>
> I will commit this patch sometime before Monday, regardless of objections,
> because I am fed up with Oracle.  I will, however, entertain suggestions on
> improving the wording.  I've tried very hard to be as diplomatic and polite as I
> possibly can, but my idea of diplomatic and polite doesn't always align with
> others'.  Please review the patch and comment if you have suggestions to improve
> the phrasing.

I agree with the sentiment.  I think it's a little harsh.
I'd remove ", nor do we want to." until the end, I think the last part
is unnecessarily abrasive and doesn't say anything that the previous
sentence hasn't already said.

I don't think it needs to be translated.

Also, do you think we could only show that if they have an XMPP
account with the word "oracle" somewhere in the username?
It seems unnecessary to subject the rest of the world to this.

-D