GSoC project idea

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Apr 11 03:36:54 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 5:18 AM, ABHINAV MISRA <abhinavmisra919 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I needed to know whether adding an option "show IMs and chats in main
> window"

(This is just my opinion as 1 out of 7 or 10 of us who will review
applications.)

I guess the "show IMs and chats in main window" option doesn't
interest me.  I don't see clear advantages to the alternate UI and I
worry about the added complexity.  "The Question of Preferences" at
http://www106.pair.com/rhp/free-software-ui.html does a good job of
explaining why I'm concerned about complexity (both code complexity
and UI complexity).

> and adding "buddy search" to pidgin is sufficient enough to be
> proposed as a GSoC 2013 project ? Will it be accepted as a GSoC project ?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by buddy search.  The Pidgin buddy
list currently has a CTRL+f search box that does a poor job of
searching for a given buddy in your list.  I would love to see this
replaced with a search box that hides non-matches from the list as you
type.  So if I typed "Ma" in the search box then my buddy list would
hide everyone except for "Matt" and "Mark."  I think this is a more
useful mechanism than the current CTRL+f.

And while I think this is a challenging problem, I do not think the
task is sufficiently large enough to constitute a summer of code
project on its own.