libpurple IM conversation name

Zoltán Sólyom z-ismeretlen at freemail.hu
Fri Apr 12 10:45:41 EDT 2013

I got libpurple work in VS so now I'm trying to use it, but I'd like to
ask for a little assistance.

I can start conversations and users can write me, and both opens a
window. The callback for the "received-im-msg" signal gets the name of
the sender, that I pass to purple_conversation_new. The name has a
hexadecimal looking string after it, but the conversation works
correctly. If I want to send a message first, I don't know about that
string, so I just create a conversation with the buddy name. Both work,
but I need a way to identify conversation windows, and the only thing I
can use is the name of the conversation/buddy. Is it ok to just throw
away that hexadecimal string when I check if the conversation names are
equal? And if that string can be removed, is it the same format in every
protocol and server? Or maybe this approach is completely wrong?