Project for GSOC 2013

Jorge Villaseñor salinasv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 17:51:21 EDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Ashish Gupta <ashmew2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am Ashish , Second Year Undergraduate in Information Technology.
> I've been using pidgin for a long while now ,started as a replacement for
> Yahoo Messenger because there was no "real" messenger for Linux at that
> time (still isnt). And i would love to contribute to Pidgin.
>

> 1) File Transfers are a pain at times.
>
> I'm talking about the scenario where the Send File button is greyed out.
> Instead of it being greyed out, one of the following could be implemented .
> * Open up a temporary FTP/SFTP server on the senders end with the browsed
> file automatically added to this user's "sendable space". You can choose to
> discard this whole sendable space immediately after the file transfer or
> preserve it for sending it to other users at a later time. This can help in
> sending directories as well. Can be achieved using something like a
> stripped down version of something like vsftpd. Login/Password for access
> can be generated on the fly.
> This could fix a generalized problem of sending files.
> * Push files to a cloud service such as Ubuntu One.
>
> The advantage of the FTP approach is that your files stay with you and the
> concerned receiver, no copies are made anywhere else.

I don't know if I understood correctly but libpurple tries to behave JUST
as the official client (when there is no open standard specification) and
be 100% compatible with other clients. That is, if we send a file to a
non-libpurple based client, they should just work. Doing file transfers for
any protocol in a different way than the spec or the official clients do,
is a no-no.

--
Masca