Google Talk File Transfers

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Jun 17 15:05:21 EDT 2013

On 6/17/13 3:42 AM, Phil Hannent wrote:
> Hi Ashish,
>
> I noticed that you are going to look at the Google Talk File
> Transfers. I was looking at the Jingle ICE communications a couple
> of months ago. I thought I should let you know what I found out
> before I moved on.
>
> There is the standards based Jingle way of doing things which
> Pidgin implements: http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0176.html

That spec was deferred for lack of activity (and the fault is mine
because I'm the author). If you have any implementation feedback,
please send it along!

http://hg.pidgin.im/pidgin/main/file/00e6d5d4c37f/libpurple/protocols/jabber/jingle/transport.c

> However with the Google method they will arrive later. Whilst I
> was looking at it for initiating a video conversation from my Phone
> to Pidgin I assume that P2P file transfers also happen over ICE.

Do you mean that Google uses ICE-TCP to signal the IP/port
combinations for file transfer? I really doubt that they chunk the
file itself over ICE, but you never know. ;-)

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/