new client plans and libpurple

Zoltán Sólyom z-ismeretlen at freemail.hu
Thu Mar 28 22:10:34 EDT 2013

I have compiled a DLL for every subfolder in libpurple/protocols with MS
Visual Studio (except for MSN and Zephyr of course). Some includes had
to be replaced by different ones in the sources and it took all day to
finish everything. 2/3 of the libraries listed on the windows builds
instructions page had .lib files for VS, but a few only had MinGW
libraries (silc, meanwhile). I created the necessary .lib files from
their DLLs with 'dumpbin' and 'lib', but it's hard to say whether the
compiled DLLs will be willing to work with .NET this way.

Compiling the DLL for ssl in libpurple/plugins was relatively easy, but
I can't make Tcl nor Perl work. They both only contain a few headers and
import libraries for MinGW. Are those two necessary for libpurple? If
so, could someone point me to the MinGW make files the libraries were
made from? I found the source for both projects, but there are no
instructions how to make the bare minimum DLL from them, and it doesn't
seem easy.

If anyone needs a step-by-step guide for compiling the libpurple and
protocol DLLs under Visual Studio the way I did, I can write up
something. I started out from
http://pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/2007-May/001059.html and then had to
figure out the rest. I might be able to make it easier for others
(though can't guarantee that my DLLs work yet).