GObjectification - GSoC project 2013

Ankit Vani a at nevitus.org
Tue May 28 15:16:19 EDT 2013

Hello everyone!

I have been accepted to work on Pidgin for Google Summer of Code 2013
under the mentorship of elb, and I'm very grateful for this
opportunity. I would like to take a moment to introduce myself to the
community (I have been idling in the IRC channel so you might have
seen me), and talk about what my project is all about.

In brief, my project is to remodel the pidgin codebase around the
GObject. GObjectification would result in a more modern codebase that
is not only more maintainable, but will also lift some of the
restrictions developers currently face. This will also lead to a
GObject-based plugin API, and a protocol interface that protocol
plugins must implement. As I see attempts at GObjectification of this
project have been going on for a while now, with an abandoned branch
and some GObjects in the main branch. My goal is to provide a much
needed boost to this purpose and have a (nearly) GObjectified pidgin
by the end of summer.
You can take a look at my proposal here:

GObjectification is listed as a task in the tickets (#35:
https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/35). Here, I found a link to a
spreadsheet (by grim) that has been used to track GObjectification:

Please advice me regarding the following:
1. I would like to ask if this spreadsheet is accurate as of date.
2. I would also like to know if I should proceed with GObjectification
according to the current state of the spreadsheet.

I find this method of tracking the overall status of GObjectification
very effective and I would like to use this spreadsheet or fork it to
plan and track my progress.
Once I start coding, I will also be reporting my progress on a regular
basis to the community :)

Ankit Vani

More information about the Devel mailing list