PPA

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon Jun 8 16:23:49 EDT 2015

Richard Laager spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I believe Mark has expressed a desire to kill off the PPA. Is that
> something we want to do?

While I would not use the word "desire", I am mildly in favor of
killing off the PPA.  The reasons for this are that it a) causes a
fair number of spurious queries on the support list, and it
b) confuses people.

I think both of these stem from the fact that the PPA often lags
Pidgin releases (and maybe particularly with respect to changes
required for Linux Mint?).  My sense is that if it were updated along
with the release process, my concerns would go away.  However, as I
don't have the time or energy to manage it, I am therefore mildly in
favor of discontinuing it.

I know you've managed the PPA in the past, and I don't mean to
disparage your efforts; I don't even know exactly what the reason for
people asking abou the PPA on support@ and in IRC is.

> Essentially, I'm asking which of the following should I do:
> A) Build 2.10.11 for Vivid.
> B) Remove all mention of the PPA from the website, and update the PPA
>    description to say it's deprecated.

I would say A) if you want to keep it updated and invisible to the
rest of us (heh), or B) if you don't.

Ethan