GSoC is over

Jorge VillaseƱor salinasv at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 20:05:02 EDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im> wrote:

> Jorge VillaseƱor spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > The Google Summer of Code is over and it is time that we recapitulate
what
> > was done, in which state is each of the projects, are they ready to be
> > merged? complete or partially?
>
> Mike and I have discussed this (though not in the past few days) for
> his projects, and most of his work can be merged -- a lot of it I
> requested he hold off on simply so it wouldn't step on any other
> students' toes.  He has a few partially-completed efforts (such as
> Gtk3 de-deprecation) that turned out to be more work than we had
> bargained for that won't be ready to merge immediately.
>
> > I request from every student to write a summary of their project here
and
> > update/create a wiki page with the details of it, what was accomplished,
> > what is the state of the project and so on.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.
>
> > And from the developers, specially the mentors, we need to figure out
how
> > do we plan to merge such projects based on their current status.
>
> Agreed.  I'm all for merging up anything that can be merged to 3.0;
> it's all improvement on that front!
>
> Ethan

Ok, this is my summary of what I have heard from people.

Ready to be merged:
* Facebook prpl: It looks like this prpl is being used on the wild now and
it is working ok.
* XMPP prpl improvements: This looks like can be merged.
* Maintenance: Some of this changes are ready, some of them were proof of
concept and need to be rewritten.

I think, it is safe to review and merge both, xmpp improvements and the
facebook plugin first.

After that, we can coordinate with Michael and Ethan to apply the changes
that are good to go and work on the changes that have to be rewritten, this
way if the prpl have changes, we can update them while merging.

Eion, do you think you can merge the changes form your students?

I urge specially the students to get involved on this process since, here
is were we will merge your changes. If we move slow now, your project may
get a little bitrotten because of changes on the maintenance branch making
harder to include your work.

--
Masca