Splitting the repos...

Michael McConville mmcco at mykolab.com
Thu Apr 7 15:33:53 EDT 2016

Gary Kramlich wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Michael McConville <mmcco at mykolab.com>
> wrote:
> > I'll have to look into that more. Usually, though, the sort of set
> > up you describe is far more attractive to the person who designs it
> > than it is to others. They tend to introduce dark magic and
> > complexity that people don't want to learn.
>
> The "dark magic" is using Docker.  Look at
> https://bitbucket.org/gplugin/release-tools/src From any machine that
> has docker-engine installed you can build GPlugin against a number of
> distros (who's number will increase over time).  Again I will write up
> more about this later (probably sooner since everyone seems to be very
> scared of it).

To be fair, Docker definitely falls into the "complex dark magic that I
don't want to learn" category.  :-)  I'm not an active developer,
though, so I'll leave the decision to other people. However, for what
it's worth, I've found the issues Patrick mentions to be very real in
other projects. The costs of the added complexity are delayed and are
borne more by outsiders trying to contribute.