Splitting the repos...

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Thu Apr 7 15:39:11 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Michael McConville <mmcco at mykolab.com>
wrote:
<snip>

> To be fair, Docker definitely falls into the "complex dark magic that I
> don't want to learn" category.  :-)  I'm not an active developer,
> though, so I'll leave the decision to other people. However, for what
> it's worth, I've found the issues Patrick mentions to be very real in
> other projects. The costs of the added complexity are delayed and are
> borne more by outsiders trying to contribute.

The Docker part is really just so we can utilize our build agents.  In the
past, one build agent being down stopped all builds.  With Docker, all
build agents can build all jobs, so as long as there's one build agent, the
builds will continue; albeit slowly.

As far as a casual contributor goes, I think of it this way.  Say I need to
patch gedit for something, the fact that I need to install libgtk-3-dev to
build it doesn't seem difficult to me.  That's how we can and should be
setup.  Remember libpurple has an ABI and API guaranty.  Someone patching
just something in pidgin doesn't/shouldn't have to care about what version
of libpurple is installed; just that it works with the version of pidgin
they're trying to compile.  Like wise, for patching libpurple you need to
have a compatible version of glib and other dependencies.

Thanks,

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>