Splitting the repos...

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Thu Apr 7 16:25:42 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Tomasz Wasilczyk <twasilczyk at pidgin.im>
wrote:

> I think the project should be split, but I'm afraid of doing that before
> 3.0.0 release. With such a big change, there is a risk that project will be
> stuck in intermediate state (where not everything is working as expected).

If we don't do it before 3.0.0, then we shouldn't do it until 4.0.0.

> I already did that for win32 build (my bad, I still feel sorry for not
> having time to finish it), where "almost" everything works.

It's alright, theres a lot stuff that needs to be done before 3.0.0 can be
released anyways :)

> Also: we might consider an option, where all the sources are kept within a
> single repository, but every subproject has its own buildsystem and
> packaging (I mean its own configure.ac and set of Makefiles).

I am not a fan of this option as you still have all the "issues" that
everyone else has brought up -- multiple builds/installs; The only thing
that's easier is how to get the code.

I forgot to mention before that spearate repositories also lets use better
control access.

Tom

Thanks,

--