new version: eye candy showing that other person is typing

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 08:17:37 EDT 2008

* 062126s at acadiau.ca had this to say on [13 Aug 2008, 17:29:50 -0300]:
> Hello, I've been using Gaim and now Pidgin for a long time. It is a
> great alternative to microtrash's software. I just had a small point.
>
> This is certainly not a big deal, but I find the new in-line (in the
> message box) message that the other person is typing much more
> intrusive then the little circle of dots in the upper right corner
> that showed the same in the older version. Could there be a way to
> either turn of this feature or toggle back to the old style?

You can change the attributes (font face, size, color etc.) of the
notification text to make it less intrusive, or completely disable the
notification, from ~/.gtkrc-2.0. As an example, look at the
'GtkIMHtml::typing-notification-' settings in
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/SampleGtkrc2.0

There might be a plugin somewhere that also adds the old typing
notification icon in the menutray. If there isn't one yet, it should be
possible to write one.

> ps: I have never posted before, so not sure if this is the correct
> venue ... if not, I apologize in advance.

This is the correct place.

Cheers,
Sadrul