Receiving Special Characters in Pidgin

Susi W gungewolf at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 04:07:14 EDT 2008

Dear Pidgin Support Community,

I downloaded Pidgin a few days ago, and have been extremely pleased.
I've only encountered one problem:  when someone sends me a message
with a special character, random errors will occur.  A friend sent me
a message with the Euro sign €, followed of course by a number amount.
 When I received the text, the Euro sign and everything following it
were simply truncated.  He also sent me an o with a strike through it
ø, which appeared instead as an X (but did not truncate any of the
message).

I have already read about the different required method for typing
special characters into Pidgin, though I have been using the character
map, which works just fine.  I tried copying both of these characters
into my own text window, and sending them to a friend, and they both
displayed in my typing window and on his screen with no problem.  We
only encountered the problems when I was trying to receive these
characters in a message.

Please pardon me if I've overlooked the answer to this question.  I
don't know much at all about programming, and it may have been staring
me right in the face in computer jargon, and I didn't realize it.
Thank you in advance for your help!

~Susi W.