HTTP proxy without authentification

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Jan 28 00:56:27 EST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:59:39 +0100, Jan Kotuc wrote
> Hi y'all,
>
> at work I have to route all network traffic through a HTTP proxy.
> Just a hostname and port. No name and password required. IE, Firefox,
>  Opera, QIP, etc have no problems with it. Unfortunately Pidgin
> does. It provides 4 fields to specify proxy settings: host, port,
>  name, password. Simply leaving name and password blank won't help. Pidgin
> apparently treats those fields as empty strings and sends them to the
> proxy server as such. Naturally it doesn't work.

What makes you think Pidgin is sending those fields to the proxy server?  I
just tested and it does not appear to do that.

> Any ideas what can be done in this situation? I know that Pidgin is
> principally a Unix/Linux application and name/password proxy
> authentication is a standard on Unixes, but nowhere else. Please
> modify your application so that it can traverse "windows-type" proxy
> servers as well. TIA

What proxy server is it, exactly?  What protocol(s) are you trying to use?
What do you mean by "windows-type" proxy servers?

-Mark