Pidgin - are there broadcast capabilities ?

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Sun Jun 8 17:57:42 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 03:42:24PM -0700, phil at infostreet.com wrote:

> Hi, we are looking to find out if Pidgin has broadcast capabilities. We need to be able to "push" notices to employees and have the IM window open on all desktops that have the Pidgin IM client installed. Also need the window to support html.
>
> Is this possible ?
>
> Phil.

If you are running your own XMPP server then your server will provide the
ability to send an IM/notification to all online accounts at once and is
how you most likely would want to do this. If you aren't running your own
server and just need to send a mass IM then you would need to write a
plugin for this (or find an already existing one).

As to whether such notifications will support HTML (I'm assuming you mean
text formatting beyond plain text and not literal HTML) that depends
entirely on how they are sent, on what protocol they are sent on, and on
what clients your employees are using.

And finally, as to having the window pop up on the employees desktops that
depends entirely on the client they are using, the settings of that
client, the desktop environment they are using, and the settings of that
environment.

	-Etan