Wish list? Bug? ICQ Privacy settings not saved

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Mon Mar 3 12:28:25 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 09:50:08AM -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
> ICQ seems to be the only service (I use AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, MSN and
> myspace), and ICQ privacy settings are 'lost' whenever I change
> status - Away, Available, etc.
>
> It seems just about every ICQ message I've gotten is a spam. Not even
> sure why I use it to be honest.
>
> But I'd like to see this privacy setting kept. I change it to Only
> allow users on my buddy list - then poff, it's changed to only block
> the below users.
>
> And of course, ICQ is enhanced by google, which means sending ICQ a
> abuse report is useless.
>
> I know I asked this a while ago, but this ICQ spam is getting on my nerves. :)

First off, do you have the Web Aware ICQ privacy setting enabled? If so
turn that off, that is probably the single largest source of ICQ spam I'm
aware of.

Second, ICQ changes the visible/active privacy setting as needed to keep
your settings doing what we believe your intent was (ICQ only uses the
active setting and that setting can change based on how you block/unblock
people, etc. I always forget all the details). In short, the dialog
switching may or may not actually be doing anything or be indicating
anything of any importance.

    -Etan