Please change the 2.4.0 input field's resize behaviour

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Mon Mar 3 14:32:13 EST 2008

Mark Scott wrote:
> Kevin Stange wrote:
>
>> Mark Scott wrote:
>
>>> Looking at my current Pidgin 2.3.1 window I can see I have 12 lines
>>> visible in the input field and 40 lines of conversation visible (with,
>>> as it happens, 132 chars per line).
>> Is this a maximized window?
>
> No, not at all.  I seldom maximize windows.  I mostly use a laptop with
> a 1920x1200 screen and my IDE is the only thing that's routinely
> maximized.  The screen's aspect ratio simply makes most other maximized
> windows look 'strange'.
>
> My current Pidgin window turns out to be 887x957 pixels, including
> window manager decorations.  That's probably an average size.
>
>>  I would wager that most Pidgin users don't
>> keep their IM windows this large most of the time.  A lot of the changes
>> in this vein were motivated by the idea of making the conversation work
>> better at smaller sizes and may have failed to consider users that have
>> extremely large windows.
>
> Genuine interest: you consider ~800x100 to be extremely large?  It feels
> just right to me :-S
>
> Regards.

Since I find myself using pidgin today, instead of finch, I thought I'd
chime in here, I tend to use a window size of 646x569.  Still, the
default of about 2 lines is about all I would want to display most of
the time anyway.  The only times I'd grow an input area would be for
sending a code snippet over IM, which really isn't an ideal thing to be
doing to start with.

luke