Pidgin 2.4.0 and offline messages

N.Novozhilov nna at darim.com
Tue Mar 4 08:10:33 EST 2008

Here is another strange fact:

I have respondent with some (ICQ 6 I think) messenger, AIM info returns:

Capabilities: Send File, ICQ Direct Connect, ICQ Server Relay

I.E. There isn't UTF-8 support. Today I see the next messages from him:

(12:59:25 PM) VA: добрый день, у нашего сотрудника, Часовникова Евгения
нужно восстановить пароль на ящике

можно выслать на xxxxxx at mail.ru или xxxxxx at yyyyyy.ru
спасибо
(01:29:21 PM) Linkov_VA:  ???? ??????? (There was an error receiving
this message.  Either you and 351413292 have different encodings
selected, or 351413292 has a buggy client.)

As you can see, first message decoded excellent, but the next - with
error.
My messenger was ON-LINE but in away state.

All that I need - to talk with my Russian colleagues
without problems.

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 09:55:57 -0500
Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im> wrote:

> N.Novozhilov spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > Pidgin 2.4.0 don't support offline messages with national codeset,
> > in spite of your advertising. I test this just after installing new
> > version. Offline messages on Russian seems like this:
>
> I'm not sure what "advertising" you're citing, but we'll see what we
> can do about this.  There have been quite a few fixes to ICQ offline
> messaging lately, but it still requires that you configure your Pidgin
> properly, and that the other user is using certain versions (I'm not
> sure which) of the _official client_.  If the remote user is using
> Trillian, Miranda, etc., offline messaging is likely to not work, as
> these clients do _not_ always behave the same as the official client.
>
> > respondent: ???????? ????? (There was an error receiving this
> > message. Either you and 112565452 have different encodings
> > selected, or 112565452 has a buggy client.)
> >
> > Respondent and me use UTF-8 version of messengers.
> > On-line conversation are OK.
>
> What are "UTF-8 version of messengers"?  What is your encoding set to
> in the account editor for this account?  What is your buddy's encoding
> set to, and/or what "nationality" of messenger are they using?
>
> Ethan
>
> --
> The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws [that have no
> remedy for evils].  They disarm only those who are neither inclined
> nor determined to commit crimes.
> 		-- Cesare Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishments", 1764

Regards
Nicholas A. Novozhilov, NAN6-RIPE

 NTR Lab
 System administrator