Why pressure featuers you like your self?

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Wed Mar 5 19:50:13 EST 2008

mail at millerm.com spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > There were numerous flaws and faults in the previous behavior which,
> > at the very least, we should fix in this process.
>
> What were the flaws and the faults? To me, it was absolutely perfect.

The auto-expansion behavior which existed prior to 2.4.0 interacted
very poorly with manual resizing.  Resizing one input area in a window
with multiple tabs had somewhat undesirable results.  Resizing was in
terms of pixels, not lines of text (this is being discussed all over
the place in the context of the new behavior, as well).  Resizing the
input box to smaller than one line of text (indeed, smaller than the
toolbar itself!) was perfectly possible and yielded surprising,
incorrect results.

There were other problems, I'm sure, but you get the point.

> Why does this new feature bite the big 'un:

Several of your comments below this have already been discussed in
detail, and in fact there have been productive discussions about
solutions to the problems.  Perhaps you can familiarize yourself with
the topic by reading the mailing list threads, and weigh in on issues
which do not yet have adequate proposals for resolution.

> 5) And, the most important reason to change it back is that it's what I,
> and many other users, prefer.

In fact, this is nearly the *least* important reason, in and of
itself.  Preferences which are purely aesthetic or otherwise
indefensible are just about at the complete bottom of the priority
list, simply because we cannot please everyone.  Preferences which
impact use in tangible ways will always take precedence.

> I'd be willing to donate as much money as it will take to get this feature
> reverted. What's the going price? That's a serious offer, by the way.

We will not and cannot take bribes to make changes which are adverse
to the good of the project as a whole.  If it turns out that no
effective solution can be found *other* that complete reversion to
previous behaviors, then that will be the solution we settle upon.  If
a more progressive and useful solution can be found, then we will take
it.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.