Please change the 2.4.0 input field's resize behaviour

Sparkle! kirax2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 13:05:31 EDT 2008

I would like to add my voice to those objecting to the new resize behavior
of the Pidgin message window.

My use of the program is primarily for communication.  Whether I'm planning
an event with a group of friends or participating in a role-play related to
my online forum-based Steampunk roleplaying game, two lines is just much,
much too small.  For those of us that prefer using complete sentences when
communicating, two lines is maddening.  I have reverted to the previous
version of Pidgin in the hopes that this issue will be resolved in future
versions.

My preferences:

1. I would most like to see a return to the old behavior.  I am frequently
resizing all the windows on my desktop as I handle different tasks.  One
night I might have several message windows open side by side, on another I
might have a single message window maximized for an important conversation.
Flexibility is key.

2. If this is not possible, it would be nice to, at the least, be able to
define a large minimum size for the input portion of the window.  Two lines
feels extraordinarily constraining.  I would like to see a minimum of at
LEAST 10-12 lines possible.

3. What I would not want, under any circumstances, would be a window that
resized itself, growing as I typed.  That is about the only behavior I can
think of that would be more annoying than the current two line restriction.
As I mentioned above, I will frequently have multiple chat windows tiled
around my screen; having one adjust its own size would make it difficult to
do this.  Additionally, it's counter-intuitive for Windows users.  Windows
should not resize themselves.

Thank you for the opportunity to put in my two cents.  If there is any more
information I can give you, please let me know.

-kirax2