Wishes and Telepathy...

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Fri Mar 14 13:25:03 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:01:43PM +0100, David BERCOT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tested many IM softwares under Linux like aMSN, Pidgin, Empathy,
> Gossip, Psi, etc... and the one I prefer is Pidgin. But I'd like 2
> features (of course, users are never totally satisfied ;-))) :
> - MSN commentary (near to the nickname in the buddy list)

This requires a newer version of the MSN protocol than pidgin/libpurple
currently supports, work on the new protocol is under way but is not
progressing as fast as some people would like, if you really want to help
with this (and are capable of helping with the code) stop by the pidgin
irc channel or xmpp chat room and ask what you can do to help. I don't
know the status of the code or if we even have a good list of what is
still wrong with it, but hopefully someone who does will be able to point
you in the right direction(s).

> - webcam

There is minimal work on this under way in a branch of the code, but only
at the moment for XMPP/Google Talk voice support I believe. There has been
discussion about this on this mailing list in the past I am sure if you
search the archives I imagine you will find it.

> Is it possible to have informations about these 2 features ? In a few
> months, in the next release, never ?

When they are done they will be in a release, when that will be there is
no way of telling.

> About my first wish, the telepathy library does it (it is ok in
> Empathy and maybe in Gossip) !!! It would not be possible to have it in
> Pidgin ? I know that Pidgin uses the libpurple library, but there are
> so many differences between them ?
>
> Thank you very much for this great tool !!!
>
> David.

    -Etan