Two typing notifications don't make sense. What do you think?

Keith Brown billybeagle at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 21:52:13 EDT 2008

Etan Reisner wrote:
 > There are a number of reasons the new typing notification was added.
 > First, it places the notification in exactly the place you are already
 > looking either for your message to show up or your buddies message to
 > show up so it is much more immediately obvious in an active
 > conversation.

I dunno about you, but I generally am able to see the entire window, so
this is really kind of a moot point.

 > Second, for users of top tabs the tabbar is not always visible and the
 > infopane does not display the colorized typing notification.

I don't use tabs at all (disabled tabs long long ago), and so the icon
was on the right hand side of the menubar. Always visible, never in the
way.

 > Third, the tab typing indication is unhelpful for colorblind people
 > and for those with bad eyesight in general.

Well, with the default colors, I personally find it very hard to read
the indication.

 > Lastly, what about the current system do you feel is 'noisy'? Is there
 > something about it which could be changed which would mitigate your
 > dislike for it (other than removing it)?

Makes the text box jump around by adding it a new line, and making it
disappear if the person pauses typing. Seeing the window scroll makes me
think I received a new message, only to be disappointed (Gotta remember
people don't always send what they type). Also, takes up more space than
the icon did.

Plus the icon was cool, since if the person paused their typing, you
could see that too, since the typing on the icon paused as well, where
as with the new method, the line just disappears.