no buddy icon

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Mon Mar 24 22:50:00 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 07:22:15PM +0800, Dani Crisan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Hope you can help me.
> Here is the scenario.
>
> I have gentoo with fluxbox and Pidgin 2.4.0 and a yahoo account, only a yahoo account.
> First of all I would like to say that none of my friends have ever seen my buddy icon, even in previous versions of Pidgin.
> Now, not even I can see the picture. I can add it but no picture appears. When I right click on the buddy icon I can remove it...so my guess is that it is added but not showed.
> Is there any way to instruct pidgin to use a specific image viewer application like with the browser when you instruct which browser to use for links in the conversation?
>
> Thank you in advance.

What type of image is your icon? Presumably it isn't a png image (or you
probably wouldn't be seeing any of the normal pidgin icons either). I'm
going to guess it is either a gif or jpg image and you somehow managed to
build GTK+ without the gif or jpg image loader (or that the loader is
broken) thus preventing pidgin from being able to read and display the
buddy icon. If you run pidgin from a terminal do you see any errors
printed out? What about if you run 'pidgin -d' do you see anything
interesting there (this will print a lot of information so you might want
to redirect it to a file).

What files do you see if you run "ls <path>/*.so" where <path> is the
directory you get back from running "gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders | grep
LoaderDir"?

    -Etan