Leave join (IRC) channels with click

David Balazic David.Balazic at hermes-softlab.com
Thu Mar 27 05:52:17 EDT 2008

Etan Reisner wrote :

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:51:00AM +0100, David Balazic wrote:
> > About the benefit it is the same as in :
> >  - being able to close a conversation with the mouse
> >  - being able to start a chat with a buddy with the mouse
> >
> > That is : user convenience
> >
> > Regards,
> > David
>
> What benefit do you get from being able to leave a chat room without
> closing the conversation window

I can answer this like this: if it has no benefit, why is it
already implemented in pidgin (currently only thru a typed command) ?

1.) this allows one to temporarily leave a channel (to not be bothered
By new message notifications) and then rejoin later
2.) alows one to read the channel content without new messages "pushing
it up"

I agree that on channels with few traffic there is not much difference
between the channel as is (joined) and parted.

Also in current version it can happen that a channel tab is open, but
the user
is not joined. Due to absence of the features in topic, he must join by
typing
A command (redundantly repeating the channel name*) instead of a
convenient click.

* - unless "/join *" would work, but I doubt, since "/part *" does not
work either;
Enhancing these two commands to mean the current tabs channel when
called without
paramaters would be a nice "half-implementation" of the requested
features

Regards,
David