Memory leaks in win pidgin 2.5.1?

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 22:52:59 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:02 PM,  <dave1g at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> attached are various runs with winleak. Using
>
> G_DEBUG=gc-friendly
> and
> G_SLICE=always-malloc
>
> On windows I set them in the my computer properties ->advanced tab ->
> environment variables -> user variables.
>
> printing them our in my pidgin run script produced this so i think the
> variables are set correctly.

> Pidgin Debug Log For Wed 09/10/2008 16:04:23.20
> Value of G_DEBUG = gc-friendly
> Value of G_SLICE = always-malloc
>
> produces with this batch script code.

> REM write a nice header
> ECHO ------------------------------------------------- > %logfile%
> ECHO Pidgin Debug Log For %odt% >> %logfile%
> ECHO Value of G_DEBUG = %G_DEBUG% >> %logfile%
> ECHO Value of G_SLICE = %G_SLICE% >> %logfile%
>
> ECHO ------------------------------------------------- >> %logfile%
>
> The only issue is these aren't beginning to end leaks. they are unfreed
> memory as of the point I stopped collecting data. To make this as accurate
> as possible. I closed all windows, and minimized the buddy list before
> writing out the leak details.
>
> I did things such as: sending/receiving ims, checking status messages,
> clicking buttons, +/- buddylist expanders, aim direct connect, aim file
> transfer, checking aim profiles, and using the log reader to brows logs and
> search them for keywords
>
> I was mostly testing with my brother. searching for the screen names "ace3g"
> or "dave1g" ( there can be quite a few matches) will probably be the more
> likely true leaks of strings. If any truly exist at all.

I took a look at the first few files and wasn't able to find anything
that looked like a legitimate leak.

The fact that these are snapshots and not real de-facto leaks means
that there are just too many falks positives to be able to get useful
results.

I look forward to some better results based on working with the
winleak developers to improve accuracy.

-D