"the message is too large"

Richard Jackson richard_jackson at attglobal.net
Mon Aug 10 14:45:51 EDT 2009

*Unable to send message: The message is too large.*

There is nothing wrong with the message but the application behavior is
infuriating!

The problem is: the message is too big.

The behavior is: ignore the send request, tell me that the message is too
big and discard the message.

Consequence: Since the message is big, I don't remember all of it.  Since
you threw it away, I don't get a chance to cut it into 2 pieces and send
those separately.

For your information, I previously used Lotus SameTime and it had no limit
on message size or, for that matter, message content either -- I could Snag
a screen image or a file and paste it into ST and send it off.  Why not send
the message, regardless of size, and let the receiver tell you that it can't
process large messages or odd content?

FWIW, the words "maximum", "size", and "length" do not appear on your
on-line (F1) help page.  The word "large" only appears once and in a
different context.  What is the maximum message size and why don't you stop
me from typing more characters when I reach it?

Am I the only person who finds this behavior infuriating?

Richard Jackson