Possible to change charset in finch?

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue Jan 6 01:47:38 EST 2009

Dave Wood spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Ok I'll look into that. Thanks.
>
> I'm using a utf-8 linux console (set in lilo) and my TERM=xterm-xfree86 as
> I find this a bit friendlier with other programs like screen, vim etc. I'm
> using a latin font - lat9w-16.psfu.gz - but I find various fonts
> better/worse support for unusual characters. Cybercafe font seems to have
> the correct symbols for finch, but it's very hard on the eyes to read.

Setting TERM incorrectly is *never* the right solution.  You should be
using TERM=linux, or perhaps some extension thereof.  Finch should be
unaware of the font in use; if the console knows how to pull Unicode
characters out of the font (either because it is a Unicode font, or by
conversion), it ought to work.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.