SOLVED! Pidgin ignores DISPLAY variable.

Rogier Wolff R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl
Mon Jan 26 06:27:34 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:27:40PM -0600, Richard Laager wrote:
> > Things that would be useful for me are:
> >
> > 	pidgin --change-state Offline
> >
> > and
> >
> > 	pidgin --message-to <someuser> \
> > 		--message-content="Auto message from <script>: Something went wrong".
>

> purple-remote and our DBus interface, while FAR from perfect, will
> probably suffice for these needs.

Preliminary testing showed that this was exactly what I was looking
for.....

At home I can perfectly control my pidgin to do what I want.

Here at work, however, purple-remote tells me:

getafix:~/bitwizard/recover/ntfs> purple-remote quit
Introspect error: The name im.pidgin.purple.PurpleService was not provided by any .service files
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/purple-remote", line 226, in ?
    output = execute(arg)
  File "/usr/bin/purple-remote", line 178, in execute
    return purple.PurpleCoreQuit()
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/proxies.py", line 25, in __call__
    ret = self._proxy_method (*args, **keywords)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/proxies.py", line 102, in __call__
    reply_message = self._connection.send_with_reply_and_block(message, timeout)
  File "dbus_bindings.pyx", line 455, in dbus_bindings.Connection.send_with_reply_and_block
dbus_bindings.DBusException: The name im.pidgin.purple.PurpleService was not provided by any .service files

(I'm not interested in "quit": killall pidgin would work just as
good. this is the simplest command that I could find, giving me the
least amount of possibilities to screw up....)

I'm sorry, but I'm not able to find a .service file on the system that
works, so where should "im.pidgin.purple.PurpleService" be provided?

	Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **