Showing as offline to MSN users and ICQ Privacy problem

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Fri Jan 30 10:42:55 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 07:24 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
> Can't help with the MSN issue, only thing I can maybe suggest is to
> try logging on once in the actual MSN client??
>
> Regarding ICQ - this is a 'feature' courtesy of ICQ. ICQ's servers do
> what they think is best for you and change your privacy setrtings
> based on your available / away status.

No. In Pidgin/libpurple ICQ we use the privacy lists to represent ICQ's
visible/invisible lists. We do not implement ICQ's ignore list. This is
not the server changing anything.

Some info:
http://www.pidgin.im/pipermail/support/2008-September/002173.html

Some more info:
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/PrivacyRewrite

Please don't state as fact things which you are not sure about.

Regards,

Stu.