Fwd: Regarding codes used for Pidgin

Sascha Vogt FunkyFish at gmx.net
Fri May 22 09:14:07 EDT 2009

Should have gone to the list...

And for the record: With "commands" I meant, features implemented in
Pidgin by the protocol plugin, not what is specified by the IM protocol
(though they usually match somehow)

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: Regarding codes used for Pidgin
Datum: Fri, 22 May 2009 15:03:42 +0200
Von: Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com>
An: Sascha Vogt <FunkyFish at gmx.net>
Referenzen:
<4a8ca07a0905220330y2b7a81c2y4f9ce31e2ec79c79 at mail.gmail.com>
<4A168CE9.5070705 at gmx.net>

Actually, /me is not a command spesified by the IRC protocol at all.
It's just a convention that most IRC clients follow. It's actually a
CTCP message, which in turn is a PRIVMSG message, in which the
trailing parameter begins with ascii 1, directly followed by ACTION,
then the description, followed by ascii 1. CTCP replies are the same,
just using NOTICE instead of PRIVMSG.

Like this: (equal to /me is doing something!)
PRIVMSG currentTarget :<ascii 1>ACTION is doing something!<ascii 1>

Jo-Erlend Schinstad