Looking to Assess Pidgin

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Fri May 29 00:43:36 EDT 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Olga Howard wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone tell me if Pidgin will support these requirements? I had a
> very difficult time assessing this from the website.

Let me guess, you haven't actually spent time downloading and using it,
have you?

> -The solution shall provide a .Net API (.Net Framework 2.0)

Pidgin runs under linux (and thats its native platform), take a guess at
that one.

> -The solution must be able to be hosted from a Microsoft Windows
> 2003/2008 server using Microsoft IIS Web Server version 6.0 or greater

Pidgin's a client and works with many servers running many OSes.

> -The solution shall support Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition
> 64 bit (if database access is required).

Pidgin's a client and does not need access to a database.

> -The solution shall support Microsoft Active Directory for user/group
> affiliation.

Pidgin is a client.  This would be handled on the server.

> -The solution shall support the ability to be ?re-skinned? or ?branded?

It's open source, so in theory.  Can't say it will be EASY but it's
definitely possible to modify the source to change look and feel in some
manner.

> -The solution shall provide the ability to be configured in a ?Highly
> Available? manner.

It's a client.  It runs on the local machine, if you want high
availability in a client, get two machines.  I'd say a laptop and a
desktop.

> -The solution provider shall provide support for the product.

You're obviously reading from some kind of spec -- who's the provider?

> -The solution shall support a minimum of the following web browsers and
> browser versions: Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 5.0+, Netscape
> Navigator 7.1+ and Safari 1.2+.

Pidgin isn't web based, but there's always Meebo :)

> -The solution shall support N-tier architecture ? explicitly extracting
> the presentation layer from the data/business logic layer. (More
> specifically, the solution should not perform presentation layer
> activities within a sealed ?black box? DLL.)

Ah, managerspeak.  Can you give an example of what this means?

> -One to one chat ? no breaking out into groups-or setting can be turned
> off.

I would guess this depends which protocol you're speaking, and what server
you're using for that protocol.

-Dan Mahoney

--

Amerikanskaya firma Transceptor Technology pristupila k poizvodstu komputerov "Personal'ni Sputnik"

Translates as: 'American company Transceptor Technology commenced the production of the computer "personal sputnik"'

--Snap, "The Power"