pidgin 2.6 doesn't allow plaintext authentication with ssl transport

Encolpe Degoute encolpe.degoute at free.fr
Tue Sep 8 09:54:13 EDT 2009

Paul Aurich a écrit :
> And Encolpe Degoute spoke on 08/31/2009 02:12 PM, saying:
>> Hello,
>>
>> With this configuration:
>>
>>     <settings>
>>       <setting name='check-mail' type='bool'>0</setting>
>>       <setting name='connect_server' type='string'></setting>
>>       <setting name='bosh_url' type='string'></setting>
>>       <setting name='old_ssl' type='bool'>0</setting>
>>       <setting name='auth_plain_in_clear' type='bool'>1</setting>
>>       <setting name='require_tls' type='bool'>1</setting>
>>       <setting name='ft_proxies'
type='string'>proxy.eu.jabber.org</setting>
>>       <setting name='use-global-buddyicon' type='bool'>1</setting>
>>       <setting name='custom_smileys' type='bool'>1</setting>
>>       <setting name='port' type='int'>5222</setting>
>>     </settings>
>>

>> Here the logs:
>>

>> (22:57:38) jabber: Recv (ssl)(178): <stream:features
>> xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'><mechanisms

>> (22:57:38) sasl: Mechs found:

GSSAPI

>> (22:57:38) sasl: No worthy mechs found
>>

>> Why pidgin 2.6 force a sasl authentication when the configuration ask
>> for a plaintext authentication.
>> It works well with tkabber and pidgin <2.6.
>>
>> Regards
>>

> I'm not entirely sure what the issue is here.
>
> If the server advertises SSL support, Pidgin will attempt to upgrade the
> connection to SSL even if you do not have "Require SSL/TLS" checked (which
>  you do have checked). I think you're referring to the "Allow plaintext
> auth over unencrypted streams" option, which *only* enters into the
> equation if the server does not offer SSL and all other mechanisms besides
> SASL PLAIN fail (or are not offered...or IQ Auth is in use).
The server provides SSL for the transport but not any SASL mechanism
fo authentication. The only authentication mechanism available is
plain text.
This configuration is working with pidgin 2.5 (ubuntu jaunty).

> The log snippets you've pasted indicate that the server simply isn't
> offering a valid mechanism that Pidgin knows how to authenticate with
> (typically servers offer PLAIN or DIGEST-MD5).
>
> Could you include full (unedited) logs of the entire connection process as
> well as the error messages Pidgin displays, please? If you'd like, you may
> email them to me directly.
Here comes the logs.

Thanks to your attention.

- --
Encolpe DEGOUTE
http://encolpe.degoute.free.fr/
Logiciels libres, hockey sur glace et autres activités cérébrales