Pidgin not working

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at pidgin.im
Tue Sep 29 14:03:22 EDT 2009

And Brian Morrison spoke on 09/29/2009 10:52 AM, saying:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:47:54 +0100
> Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 13:37:14 -0400
>> "Kellie DiPaola" <mdipaola at triad.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.  I am trying to use Pidgin with quicktate transcription company and I am
>>> having errors pop up that say "you required encryption, but it is not
>>> available on this server."  How do I fix this?  I have the debug window open
>>> right now and I have pasted the code in this email.
>>
>>> (13:28:18) connection: Connection error on 0452E770 (reason: 5 description:
>>> You require encryption, but it is not available on this server.)
>>

> Hmm, might be a good idea if the error message that Pidgin creates was
> more descriptive of the real problem.

As I mentioned in my other email, Kellie's issue is *not* actually a lack
of SSL support on the server, but instead that the XMPP prpl needs to first
look for an error before trying to start authentication.

Ignoring that, the message in the Buddy List reads "You required
encryption, but it is not available on this server," where the pertinent
account option is titled "Require SSL/TLS."  What would you suggest?

(I'm probably going to change the account option to read "Require SSL/TLS
encryption")

~P