Regarding groups.im chat conversations and msn stuff

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Thu Jun 17 11:52:24 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 05:33:14PM +0200, yoniLIVE wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Today a friend gave me a link to pidgin and it's just awesome, finally a non lagging msn and yahoo client with many feutures, but now I have some questions regarding some possible changes.
>
> My first question is, is there a fix for the groups.im names of the people who chat there, it only shows "Groupname says:",
>  like that I can not indentify the person who is talking, so my question is, is there a fix for this or plugin perhaps?

http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/3319

In short, no not currently. The groups.im way of handling the per-user
nicknames is also poor at best. Last I was aware there was no verification
of the information and the official client displayed whatever the remote
buddy sent, which means you can pretend to be anyone you want and even
(silently) change your displayed name between messages.

> My next question is if there any possibility to transfer all my emoticons from msn to pidgin so I can still enjoy my old emoticons and such.

I don't know if there's any way to import them directly or en masse but
you can re-create them in pidgin via the Tools->Custom Smileys dialog.

If you know how the official MSN client stores the custom smiley
information it might be possible to work on an importing tool though.

> My last question, behind everyone's msn or yahoo name there is always this line of text, how am I able to change this with pidgin or show?

The MSN "personal message" is controlled in pidgin via the status message,
that is the input area in the status selector which appears when you
change status.

> I hope I will receive an answer with some possible fixes, thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yoni, your new Pidgin user.

    -Etan