Pidgin 2.6.6-0.1 on openSuse Linux 11.0 - stuck in full screen, no titlebar

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri May 14 12:51:32 EDT 2010

Patrick Martin spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Can someone explain how the startup command switch of:
>
>     --display=DISPLAY   X display to use
>
> ...works...  I was in hurry yesterday and rather critically spazzed out
> on Pidgin.  I mistakenly clicked to take it full screen.

This doesn't do what you want.  It controls which X11 server Pidgin
connects to.  We don't have a --geometry option, which would be what
you want (but isn't very meaningful for Pidgin, which pops up many
windows).

You can edit ~/.purple/prefs.xml to change this size, if your wm isn't
forcing it; look under the 'pidgin' section, in 'blist', for the prefs
'x' and 'y', 'width' and 'height':

                        <pref name='x' type='int' value='0'/>
                        <pref name='y' type='int' value='0'/>
                        <pref name='width' type='int' value='250'/>
                        <pref name='height' type='int' value='405'/>

Change these to something sane.  The above values are sane on my
display.  You need to do this when Pidgin is not running.

More generally, you have a window manager problem, here.  It shouldn't
resize windows such that you can't reach the handles, and if it does,
it should provide you a way to fix that situation.  This isn't
something that Pidgin itself (nor most X11 apps) handles.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.