gtk.zip file download issues

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Fri Nov 5 14:30:22 EDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 14:02, V S Rawat <vsrawat at gmail.com> wrote:
> I downloaded latest version, and found that it was downloading 10+ MB
> GTK.zip which took a long time.
>
> However, I could not find where it stored the downloaded file so that I save
> that safely so that I don't need to re-download it if I format my pc. Where
> does it save it?

You will need to re-download it in that case - the download is to a
temporary location and is deleted after the installer is complete.

> It is suggested to ask for location to save the downloaded file and store it
> there and run from there. Or, providing a link from where user can download
> and install gtk.zip so that we can save it at some known place.

If you want a version of the installer that will not need to download
GTK+ if it isn't present, you should use the "Offline" installer.
There already is a way to accomplish the goal of avoiding several
downloads, there doesn't need to be a change to make the "Online"
installer more complicated.

> --
> My previous version of pidgin installer was already having gtk in the zip
> file. If I install that, would the new pidgin run on that instead of
> downloading afresh?

Yes, if it is a recent enough version.

-D