General Information about Pidgin

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Tue Sep 7 12:12:57 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:40, Raphael Hickling <mrhickling at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Ralph Hickling and I am doing research on various IM tools
> to integrate into my site and I came across your site. Currently I am
> in the process of creating my website(which I am keeping in low
> profile) and will need a reliable company to assist with the messaging
> portion of my site. If you dont mind I would like to ask a few
> questions. But before I do, I want to give a small background about my
> website. My site is being programmed in ruby on rails and will be
> hosted on linode.com. My site will have a one to many relationship
> with my users, where users will interact with only one screen name per
> messaging tool(aim,msn,gchat). So each user will have unique responses
> and I rarely will send mass messages. Ok so here are my questions:
>
> 1. Is Pidgin the tool that can help me?
> 2. Is there a limit on how many characters can send/receive?
> 3. Is there a limit on how many friends I(my usernames) can have for
> each Messaging tool?
> 4. Do you work with blackberry messenger?
> 5. Can your API work with Ruby on Rails?
> 6. Does the SMS and/or IM tools have reserved words I should be aware of?
>
> I look forward into hearing back to you.

We are not a "Company" - Pidgin is a volunteer-run open source project.

Pidgin is a installed software client, it cannot be used to drive your
website directly.

Libpurple (the IM library that pidgin uses) can theoretically be used
on a server something like what you're talking about, but will require
a substantial amount of development work (you'll have to do that
yourself or find someone to do that for you).

It isn't possible to communicate with Blackberry messenger with libpurple.

The rest of your questions are protocol/implementation specific.

-D