Pidgin - installing over LAN

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Tue Apr 12 08:11:12 EDT 2011

The simplest method to restrict pidgin to only allowing Sametime accounts
is to simply remove the plugins for all other account types. However, this
doesn't stop people from simply reinstalling those plugins. To prevent
them from doing that you would need to rebuild pidgin without plugin
support and statically enable sametime support.

There is very little in the way of administrative override control in
pidgin, it simply isn't designed for that at the moment.

If you were building pidgin yourself you could go with the simplest route
and simply hide the UI for configuration options you did not want people
to be setting (which wouldn't prevent them from making changes to the
config file manually but will stop most people from making the changes).

If that wasn't enough you could dive in and actually disable whatever
functionality you wanted on top of that as well.

You could also, though I wouldn't really recommend this, simply write a
plugin which listens for configuration changes and resets your desired
configuration instead. Though I imagine this would likely frustrate users
when they first run into it and they could always simply delete the
plugin.

    -Etan