Using Pidgin with Google Apps

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Tue Nov 8 21:03:27 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 04:21:27PM -0500, Gary Green wrote:
> As stated below, I have used my Apps domain in the domain box and I've
> tried my user name both without and with the @domaininfo, neither works.

Username should not include @domain.
We'll deal with the connection problem at the end.

> I've also noticed that the type of connection keeps resetting to XMPP even
> though I selected GoogleTalk...

That's normal. GoogleTalk is a UI-only menu item which simply fills in the
Domain field by default (it was supposed to make things easier for people
who don't know what XMPP is).

> Any ideas?

Your problem is almost certainly that your domain does not have the
correct client SRV DNS records set up (as last I knew Google didn't really
give directions for how to do that or tell you that you should).

The FAQ covers this issue
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Protocol%20Specific%20Questions#gtalk_srv
see if that solves your problem.

    -Etan