Chat Window Pop-Up (Daniel Atallah)

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Sat Feb 18 11:24:43 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:27, Dalal, Heather <dalal at adm.njit.edu> wrote:
> Thank you for bringing up this issue:
>
> I have had this same problem. We tried the message notification plug-in a few months ago.  It does not work when we have a Chat from Google Chat back.
> I was just wondering if any one had another solution.  We are also absorbed with other projects but we could like to be interrupted to reach our users.
> Here is my original post: http://pidgin.im/pipermail/support/2011-September/010784.html

The issue here is that the popup you're describing isn't a message, it
is a request to join a multi-user chat.
The message notification plugin has no effect because it isn't
intended to handle such events.
The popup *shouldn't* appear on the background; it's odd that it does.

One way to handle this situation would be to use a plugin that
automatically Accepts such chat requests.
There aren't any such plugins that are distributed with pidgin, but on
the Third Party plugins wiki page
(http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins), the "Advanced
Auto Auth" plugin seems to be intended to do that.  I haven't ever
used it or looked at more than the description on that page.

-D