Pidgin is garbage on Ubuntu 12.04

Steven Gauna smcgauna at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 01:23:55 EDT 2012

Hello Sergio,

 I am not a Pidgin developer, but in my experience, the adaptations to
Pidgin must be handled by the Ubuntu package maintainers.  If the package
maintainers believe it is a core bug in Pidgin they will relay the issue
upstream to pidgin's core bug list.  The package maintainer is listed
here<http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/pidgin>(
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/pidgin) as "Ubuntu Developers".

The bugs you are referring to only seem to affect the Ubuntu version of
Pidgin, which would suggest that the bugs were introduced through an
outdated or poor *implementation* of Pidgin with in Ubuntu's "Unity".  If
this is the case, the Ubuntu developers would have to fix this, as such an
implementation would not be valid to all other operating systems.

My advice to you, check with the Ubuntu Developers (
ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com) for their take on this.  If they
think it is a bug in Pidgin, they'll say so and a bug report can be filed
here: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForBugReports.

I may by wrong on this, but hopefully this will help you out.

Good luck!
--
Steven Gauna