How Do I Send SMS Messages Using My ICQ Account ?

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Dec 3 20:57:28 EST 2013

(+support at pidgin.im so other people can benefit from this discussion)

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Jay F Shachter <jay at m5.chicago.il.us> wrote:
> Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Mark Doliner would write on Tue Dec  3 19:41:29 2013:
>

>> I think the online/offline status is not important. AOL, AIM, ICQ,
>> Web-ICQ, Pidgin, etc. have no idea whether the person's phone is on
>> or off.  That functionality isn't supported by the SMS network.
>> Moreover, SMS is a store-and-forward system, where if a phone is off
>> or disconnected then text messages destined for that phone will be
>> stored until the next time the phone connects to the mobile network.
>
> So Web-ICQ should do what Pidgin does, which is always show such
> contacts to be online, since they are always contactable.  That
> Web-ICQ shows my contacts to be offline is then, perhaps, a clue,
> indicating that the contacts were, perhaps, not added correctly.

Perhaps. Or it could just be a behavioral difference between Web-ICQ
and Pidgin. To my knowledge there isn't much that can be wrong about
the way these buddies are added. To my knowledge there isn't anything
special about the buddies--they're just specially formatted usernames.

> Does Web-ICQ show your contacts to be offline also?

Yes, Web-ICQ shows my mobile contact to be offline also.