AIM taking literally 15+ minutes to connect

Willow Polson willowpolson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 14:56:06 EST 2013

On 12/21/13, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org> wrote:
> Hi Ms. Polson,
>
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:49:21 -0800
> Willow Polson <willowpolson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've exhausted all other options, and I'm getting more and more
>> frustrated. Please help me.
>>
>> Over the past 3 weeks or so, AIM has started taking longer and longer
>> and longer to connect to AIM. At this point, it's between 15 and 20
>> minutes between when I start up Pidgin and AIM finally connects. Prior
>> to that it's a "SSL handshake fail" problem (I'm sure you know the
>> message I mean, it's one of the most common).
>
> OK.
>

>> It only does this on my home computer (windows 7).
>> It does not do this at work, or on my husband's machine (he's using
>> Trillian).
>
> Are you using Pidgin at work?

Yes. I believe it's the current version on Windows 7. I'm not there, I
can't check the version.

>> I can connect via the AIM website just fine.
>> YIM works just fine.
>
> It’s possible that there’s a different program that interferes with Pidgin
> trying to connect.

I have no idea what it could be, I'm not running anything else for IM
clients, and YIM works.

>> I have tried debugging this myself for three weeks.
>> I've reinstalled the current version of Pidgin twice.
>> I've tried to use the Pidgin IRC help chat and it was completely useless.
>> I tried to file a bug report, but I'm not a programmer and have no
>> idea how to do that.
>
> Well, reporting bugs does not require one to be a programmer. From what I
> recall you need to register at the Pidgin Trac (= a software development
> management web application) and then fill a form. But we can try helping
> you
> here.
>

>> I'm just a normal, reasonably intelligent person trying to use your
>> software, please help me solve this frustrating issue.
>>

> OK, can you provide the appropriate Pidgin Debug logs? See:
>
> https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForBugReports

Um. Do I run the Debug Window while I'm having the issue?

I looked at that web page before and half of it was gibberish to me,
so I gave up trying to understand what I was supposed to do. That's
what I mean by "I am not a programmer."

> ( Please reply to all recipients by hitting "Reply to All", as I
> specifically
> request in my E-mail signature, which GMail unfortunately elides. ).
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Shlomi Fish
>
> --

-- Willow Polson