AIM taking literally 15+ minutes to connect

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sat Dec 21 16:14:59 EST 2013

Hi Ms. Wilson,

thanks for replying inline. See below for my response.

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 11:56:06 -0800
Willow Polson <willowpolson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/21/13, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org> wrote:
> > Hi Ms. Polson,
> >
> > On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:49:21 -0800
> > Willow Polson <willowpolson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I've exhausted all other options, and I'm getting more and more
> >> frustrated. Please help me.
> >>
> >> Over the past 3 weeks or so, AIM has started taking longer and longer
> >> and longer to connect to AIM. At this point, it's between 15 and 20
> >> minutes between when I start up Pidgin and AIM finally connects. Prior
> >> to that it's a "SSL handshake fail" problem (I'm sure you know the
> >> message I mean, it's one of the most common).
> >
> > OK.
> >

> >> It only does this on my home computer (windows 7).
> >> It does not do this at work, or on my husband's machine (he's using
> >> Trillian).
> >
> > Are you using Pidgin at work?
>
> Yes. I believe it's the current version on Windows 7. I'm not there, I
> can't check the version.

OK, I see. That means it's not a global problem with Pidgin and/or your account.

> >> I can connect via the AIM website just fine.
> >> YIM works just fine.
> >
> > It’s possible that there’s a different program that interferes with Pidgin
> > trying to connect.
>
> I have no idea what it could be, I'm not running anything else for IM
> clients, and YIM works.

It could be many other things: a firewall, an anti-virus program, a piece of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware of some sort, some other misbehaving
program, etc.

> >> I have tried debugging this myself for three weeks.
> >> I've reinstalled the current version of Pidgin twice.
> >> I've tried to use the Pidgin IRC help chat and it was completely useless.
> >> I tried to file a bug report, but I'm not a programmer and have no
> >> idea how to do that.
> >
> > Well, reporting bugs does not require one to be a programmer. From what I
> > recall you need to register at the Pidgin Trac (= a software development
> > management web application) and then fill a form. But we can try helping
> > you
> > here.
> >

> >> I'm just a normal, reasonably intelligent person trying to use your
> >> software, please help me solve this frustrating issue.
> >>

> > OK, can you provide the appropriate Pidgin Debug logs? See:
> >
> > https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForBugReports
>
> Um. Do I run the Debug Window while I'm having the issue?
>
> I looked at that web page before and half of it was gibberish to me,
> so I gave up trying to understand what I was supposed to do. That's
> what I mean by "I am not a programmer."

OK. Some hopefully simple step by step instructions:

1. Start Pidgin.

2. Run "Help → Debug Window" from the menu.

3. Set your status to Offline. (at the bottom of the Buddies list)

4. Wait about 10 seconds.

5. Set your status to Online.

6. Wait some time.

7. Go to the Debug Window and press the "Save" button.

8. Type a location to save the file to.

9. Put the file inside a .zip archive.

10. E-mail the file as an attachment to a Pidgin developer (me?).

Hope it helps.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish