Google Chats not syncing between Pidgin and GMail/Android

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon May 20 14:03:15 EDT 2013

canadianco spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Using Google Chat with a Google Apps for Your Domain account. When I
> receive an incoming IM, I can see it in both Pidgin and GMail, as well as
> the Android app (now Hangouts). If I reply using Pidgin, my response shows
> up in GMail or on Android, but if I reply using either of those, that
> response doesn't show in Pidgin and the chat appears to be dead (in
> Pidgin), until another incoming IM appears. Is there a way to fix this, or
> is it just inherent in the system?

This is a server behavior.  On XMPP, messages only go to the resource
to which they are directed.  There are recommendations to clients for
how to direct messages, and it boils down to something similar to
"send to the most recent resource that sent to you".  The Google web
clients (including the Android client) use some different API that
receives all messages, instead -- including messages you have *sent*
from other clients.

Ethan