Post-Upgrade to 2.10.10 pidgin.exe freezes interminably

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Wed Nov 5 13:11:45 EST 2014

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Memisyazici, Aras <arasm at vt.edu> wrote:

> ISSUE:
> Pidgin.exe freezes upon launch, and cannot be terminated. Methods
> attempted to terminate process include psexec -s generated cmd window using
> taskkill, procexp and built-in taskmgr. Only way to clear the stuck process
> is to reboot the system.
>
> DEBUG Info:
> Stack trace: http://www.hastebin.com/obiqisifan.avrasm
>
> OS Info:
> Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601)
>
> STATUS:
> This behavior began post-upgrade to 2.10.10.
>
> STEPS TAKEN TO DEBUG:
> *) I've uninstalled pidgin, rebooted, upon logging back in, verified no
> left-overs (checked registry, removed .purple folder and verified nothing
> in program files), then rebooted one more time and re-installed. RESULT:
> Freezing
> *) per suggestion of datallah on freenode #pidgin removed A/V and EMET to
> see if that made a difference then repeated above step. RESULT: Freezing
> *) Removed entire profile on Windows system, created new profile,
> attempted to launch pidgin. RESULT: Freezing
> *) Using Process Explorer, killed each thread in stack individually. Then
> killed all open handles. RESULT: Still not able to kill process and is stuck
>
> At this point, I'm at a loss, which is why I'm seeking advice on what to
> try next. Are there any methods to debug pidgin, run it in some verbose
> fashion to see what it is stuck onand what we can do next?

I don't think you're going to get any more useful output from the debug
log, but you can use the instructions here (
https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForBugReports#Windows) to get a debug
log.

Based on the stack trace, the fact that you can't kill the process, and the
fact that you mentioned in IRC that it is now happening with 2.10.9 too, I
believe that you need to look at what else changed on your machine in the
same timeframe.

There's unfortunately nothing too useful in the stacktrace that I can see -
the most interesting thing is the presence of "afd.sys".
You may be able to see something interesting in the Windows Event Log
related to AFD.
I'm not familiar with AFD, the following:
http://www.tech-faq.com/afd-sys.html is the best summary that I could find.

-D