Pidgin security

Eion Robb eion at robbmob.com
Thu Sep 14 18:57:24 EDT 2017

Hi Pavel,

Generally SSL/TLS settings are relegated to the 'Advanced' tab when setting
up an account, if they're optional at all.  eg, for XMPP you have a
"Connection security" dropdown with the options "Require encryption"
(that's the default setting) "Use encryption if available" and "Use
old-style SSL"; IRC has a "Use SSL" checkbox.  ICQ/AIM has a similar
"Connection security" dropdown to XMPP with the additional option of "Don't
use encryption".

Facebook will always use SSL connections (you can verify by looking at the
source) so there's no setting for it, ditto for Skype and Hangouts and many
others.  A lot of services won't provide a non-SSL way to talk to them, so
there's no way to be able to disable it within Pidgin.

Cheers,
Eion